Vai al contenuto
IGNORED

Le monete del Regno di Macedonia

Matteo91

Risposte migliori

Ciao a tutti :)

Di Alessandro Magno e Filippo II si è già detto molto. C'è stata occasione di parlare anche di altri sovrani, dinastici e non, come Lisimaco e Filippo III. Ma mi sembra che non si sia mai parlato degli altri sovrani macedoni precedenti a questi citati. Mi piacerebbe ripercorrere con voi la storia dei re macedoni attraverso le loro monete, magari aggiungendo anche qualche nota storica e un po' di bibliografia (anche se non ho trovato molto per il momento).

Il primo sovrano macedone a coniare moneta fu Alessandro I, in carica dal 498 al 454 a.C.. succeduto al padre Aminta I. Alcuni episodi della vita di Alessandro I sono stati raccontati da Erodoto, tra i quali spicca l'uccisione degli ambasciatori persiani. Nel 507 a.C., quando Alessandro non era ancora re, alcuni ambasciatori persiani intimarono al re Aminta I di sottomettersi a Dario. Il re, intimorito dai persiani, li invitò a partecipare ad un banchetto, durante il quale gli ambasciatori molestarono le donne macedoni presenti. Erodoto racconta che Alessandro fece allontanare il padre e le fanciulle, che sostituì con giovani mascherati da donne e armati di pugnali con i quali uccisero tutti i persiani! Quando un altro ambasciatore si presentò per indagare sulla scomparsa dei persiani,  Alessandro (o direttamente Aminta) mise tutto a tacere corrompendo il nuovo ambasciatore e concedendogli in sposa la figlia di Aminta.

Altri dettagli sulla vita di Alessandro I si possono leggere su Wikipedia, ovviamente: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_I_di_Macedonia#cite_note-Smith-4

Modificato da Matteo91
  • Mi piace 2
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Awards

Veniamo alle monete di Alessandro I. Con un prima ricerca, sono riuscito a reperire quest'unica tipologia: http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1495652

1495652.m.jpg

Macedonian Kingdom. Alexander I, 498-454 BC.

AR Oktadrachm (28.6g), ca. 492-479 BC.

Horseman, wearing petasos and chlamys, carrying two spears, leading horse right. 

Quadripartite incuse square.

SNG ANS 1 = Rosen 17; SNG Lockett 1266

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Awards

Supporter

post-703-0-94557500-1426114038_thumb.jpg

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander I. 498-454 BC. Oktadrachm (Silver, 28.56 g 10), c. 470-460 BC. Macedonian horseman (’hero’), wearing petasos and hunting cloak, and holding two spears, walking slowly to right, leading his horse; on the horse’s rump, brand in the shape of a keyrkeion top. Rev. ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟ Quadripartite square within larger incuse square. HPM pl. XIII, 7-8. Raymond Group II. SNG ANS 22. Very rare. Toned and attractive with some minor granulation. Very slight traces of overstriking on the reverse, otherwise, good very fine.

From the Spina Collection, and from that of W. and L. Felder, Triton VIII, 11 January 2005, 134.

The brand on the rump of the horse has been taken to refer to a cult of Apollo-Hermes, but it is just as likely a reference to the royal stables.

apollonia

• Mi piace 1
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Molto bella questa ottodramma con il nome del sovrano. E' successiva alla prima postata e ha uno stile un po' più ricercato. Come immaginavo, esistono anche altri nominali attribuiti ad Alessandro I. Vi consiglio di cliccare sui link per leggere eventuali notizie riportate dai cataloghi. Non le allego per non appesantire troppo la discussione.

Tetradrammahttp://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=997086

997086.m.jpg

Alexander I. 498-454 BC. Tetradrachm (Silver, 13.29 g 11), c. 460-451/0.

Horseman, wearing chlamys and petasos and holding two spears, riding horse walking to right. Rev. Forepart of a goat to right, head turned back to left, all within a square linear frame within a shallow incuse square.

Raymond 114. SNG Alpha Bank 73 ( same dies ). SNG ANS 33. U. Wartenberg, A Small Group of Tetradrachms of Alexander I of Macedon , CH IX, 7 ( this coin ).

Tetrobolohttp://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=162998

162998.m.jpg

Alexander I, 458-454 v. Chr. Tetrobol; 2.29 g.

Reiter r. mit Lanze - Viergeteiltes Incusum.

SNG Cop. 478

Diobolohttp://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=82729

82729.m.jpg

Alexander I, King of Macedon, 498-455 Diobol (Silver, 1.84 g), c. 480-470.

Forepart of he-goat kneeling to right. Rev. Quadripartite incuse square.

AMNG III, p. 137, 23, pl. XXVII, 9 = Traité I, 1948 (Paros), pl. LXII, 3. Weber 1845. Very rare, possibly the third example known.

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Awards

Interessante discussione. Apollonia ci andrà a nozze :D

Grazie Afranio :) Possiamo partecipare tutti, io che scrivo non ne so niente :D Vediamo se si trovano altre informazioni interessanti (blibliografia o altre monete) su Alessandro I, altrimenti verso sera passiamo al successore (ho già letto che c'è stato un po' di caos alla morte di Alessandro...).

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Awards

Supporter

C'è ancora qualche moneta di Alessandro I da presentare.

Prima però qualche notizia storica introduttiva.

INTRO TO EARLY MACEDONIAN KINGDOM / THE EARLY MACEDONIAN KINGDOM and its COINAGE

The paucity of literary evidence for the early history of the Macedonian region indicates an apparent disinterest in the region prior to the time of Philip II. Herodotos, in his limited descriptions of the archaic period, interchanges Thrace and Macedon as well as Thracian and Macedonian, so that the entire region and its inhabitants seemed in their origins a nebulous, semi-barbaric group. In fact, Herodotos' interchangeable use of names belied the actual close relationship between Macedon and Thrace. A number of tribal groups inhabited the mountainous northern region of Macedon, Paionia, and Thrace; all of them were headed by chieftains who eventually adopted the title of BASILEUS. At the same time, these groups entered into a monetary alliance based upon a common weight standard, common denominations, and common numismatic designs emphasizing regional mythological associations, such as Ares-Diomedes, Hermes-Apollo, and Dionysos, as well as the inclusion of specific symbols, such as the caduceus. By the end of the Persian wars this alliance weakened, in part because of the internal strife over Medizing, in part because of the rise of the Macedonian royal house.

According to Herodotos, the origin of the Macedonian royal house can be traced to three Argive brothers of the house of Temenos and members of the Heraklidai who had invaded the Peloponnesos after the Trojan War. Exiled from their home, they had been forced to wander northward, eventually settling in Lebaia in far northern Macedon, where they hired themselves to the local king out as herders. The youngest of these three, Perdikkas, tended the sheep and goats, considered to be the least important task. An omen, however, demonstrated his future greatness and, upon report to the king, the young men were once again forced into exile. Before leaving, they demanded their due. Replying that they could have the sunlight coming through the smoke hole in the roof, Perdikkas marked the circle of sunlight on the ground with his knife and gathered it up within his garment. Understanding this to mean that the boy would eventually rule all the lands under the son, the king tried to have the young men killed. Saved from this fate, they made their way to Edessa near the region of the Bisaltai, and from there established the future Macedonian royal house. According to the later author Justin, they had been saved through the agency of a goat, and for this they renamed Edessa as Aigai.

By the end of the sixth century BC, the Macedonian royal house became the influential power in the regional alliance; it had already been in diplomatic contact with the Peisistratid tyranny in Athens. The wars with Persia further extended Macedon’s importance, especially that of its young prince, Alexander I, the son of Amyntas. An astute politician, Alexander deftly maneuvered his way through this precarious situation. Although he early on offered his sister’s hand in marriage to a Persian to offset punishment for his revenge against the high handedness of a Persian embassy in 514-513 BC, Alexander maintained an aloof but cordial relationship with the Persians as they moved through the region in 492 BC, forcing the other tribes to Medize. At the same time, he worked towards a stronger association with the Greeks. Herodotos says that on the eve of the battle at Plataia, Alexander entered the Athenian camp to report that a delay in engaging the Persians would help to further diminish their already low supplies. In return, he hoped the Greeks (in particular the Athenians) would assist him when the time came, thereby forging a relationship between the rising power in the north with the rising Greek city-state.

As Raymond has cogently argued, the types of Alexander’s coinage reflect the position of the developing Macedonian state. The earliest types draw from those of the Thraco-Macedonian alliance of which Macedon was a part. Uninscribed issues like our coin, earlier assigned to the Bisaltai, must now be assigned to Alexander at the stage when Macedon remained an equal member of the alliance and had not yet achieved pre-eminent power in the region. Similar issues inscribed with his name are later and fall into the period after the Persian Wars when Alexander, confident in his support from the Athenians after Plataia, began to consolidate Macedonian control over the other tribes.

apollonia

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Supporter

post-703-0-61299700-1426163108_thumb.jpg

Macedonian Royal Coinage
From the RAJ Collection

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander I. 498-454 BC. AR Tetradrachm (26mm, 12.79 g, 3h). Aigai mint(?). Struck circa 476/5-460/50 BC. Warrior, wearing kausia, holding two spears in left hand and rein in right, on horseback right / Forepart of goat right in linear square within incuse square. Raymond – (TP20/A– [unlisted rev. die]); AMNG III/2, 33; SNG ANS 24; SNG Alpha Bank 45; U. Wartenberg, “A Small Group of Tetradrachms of Alexander I of Macedon” in CH IX, 4 (this coin). VF, toned. Rare.

Triton XVII, Lot: 132. Estimate $3000. Sold for $7500
From the RAJ Collection. Ex F. Shore List 77 [MBS] (25 October 1996), lot 19; “Unknown findspot” 1999 Hoard (CH IX, 9).

apollonia

• Mi piace 1
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Supporter

post-703-0-91162400-1426163436_thumb.jpg

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander I. 498-454 BC. AR Tetradrachm (13.08 g, 12h). Struck circa 480/79-477/6 BC. Horseman, wearing chlamys and petasos, holding two spears, riding left / Head of goat right in dotted border; all within incuse square. U. Wartenburg, "A Small Group of Tetradrachms of Alexander I of Macedon," CH IX, 2 (this coin); Raymond 14 var. (TP-/A6 [unlisted obv. die]); SNG ANS 12 (same rev. die). Good Fine, toned. Rare.

From the Robert A. Weimer Collection. Ex "Unknown findspot" 1999 Hoard (CH IX, 9).

apollonia

• Mi piace 1
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Grazie per le informazioni e queste nuove tetradramme; anche la prima che ho condiviso proviene dal medesimo "unknown findspot". Più tardi leggo tutto con calma :)

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Awards

Supporter

post-703-0-76539100-1426176615.jpg

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander I. 498-454 BC. AR Drachm (3.90 gm). Struck circa 492-480/79 BC. Horseman, wearing chlamys and petasos, and holding two spears, leading horse right / Quadripartite incuse square. Raymond pl. II, 18; AMNG III -; HPM pl. XII, 7 (Bisaltai); SNG ANS 6; SNG Alpha Bank -. VF, toned, minor porosity, light roughness. Rare.

From the William and Louise Fielder Collection.

apollonia

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Supporter

Altro esemplare del tetrobolo postato da Matteo dove sono più evidenti le due lance tenute dal cavaliere.

post-703-0-47874900-1426178680.jpg

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander I. 498-454 BC. AR Tetrobol (2.30 g). Struck circa 492-480/79 BC. Horseman, wearing chlamys and petasos, holding two spears, riding horse right / Quadripartite incuse square. Raymond pl. II, 21; AMNG III -; HPM pl. XII, 17 (Bisaltai); SNG ANS -; SNG München -; SNG Alpha Bank 5-6. EF, toned.
From the Robert Weimer Collection. Ex Triton IV (5 December 2000), lot 132; Leu 30 (28 April 1982), lot 81; Sotheby's (1970), lot 87; Ars Classica XIII (27 June 1928), lot 451; Theodore Prowe Collection (Egger, 28 November 1904), lot 546.

apollonia

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Supporter

post-703-0-17818000-1426178848.jpg

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander I. 498-454 BC. AR Tetrobol (2.21 g, 5h). Struck circa 480/79-477/6 BC. Horseman, wearing chlamys and petasos, holding two spears, riding horse right / Forepart of roaring lion right. Raymond 28-33 (unlisted dies); AMNG III 27; HPM -; SNG ANS 17; SNG Alpha Bank 24 (same dies). Good VF, light cabinet tone.

From the Robert Weimer Collection.

apollonia

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Supporter

post-703-0-87396700-1426180510.jpg

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander I. 498-454 BC. AR Light Tetrobol (15mm, 2.14 gm, 6h). Struck circa 480/79-477/6 BC. Horse walking right / Warrior's head right, wearing crested helmet; all within linear square within shallow incuse square. Raymond Group I, 41 var. (LP 6/A-; unlisted reverse die); AMNG III 11; SNG ANS 18; SNG Alpha Bank -; SNG Ashmolean 2411 (same dies); BMC Macedon pg. 159, 5 (same obverse die); SNG Fitzwilliam 2008 (same obverse die). Good VF, light porosity.

apollonia

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Supporter

post-703-0-42803600-1426180603_thumb.jpg

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander I. 498-454 BC. AR Tetrobol (14mm, 2.04 g, 6h). Horse standing right; A above / Crested helmet right within linear border within incuse square. Raymond 92 (LP14/A23); SNG ANS 30 (same dies). Good Fine, scratch in obverse field. Rare.

apollonia

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Supporter

post-703-0-62696700-1426180700_thumb.jpg

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander I. 498-454 BC. AR Light Tetrobol (13mm, 2.14 g, 12h). Struck circa 476/5-460 BC. Horse standing right; A over exergual line / Helmet right in linear square within shallow incuse square. Raymond 78 (LP9/A13); SNG ANS 28; SNG Alpha Bank 53 (same rev. die). VF, typical minor porosity.

apollonia

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Supporter

post-703-0-77448400-1426180781_thumb.jpg

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander I. 498-454 BC. AR Tetrobol (14mm, 2.24 g, 5h). Struck circa 476/5-460 BC. Horse galloping right; H below / Crested helmet with nose piece right within linear border within incuse square. Raymond 105 (LP21/A32); SNG ANS -. Near VF.

apollonia

• Mi piace 1
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Queste monete sono davvero affascinanti. Io non ero riuscito a trovarle. Curiosi i tetroboli "leggeri"; sinceramente non capisco perché si discostino dal peso teorico che dovrebbero avere.

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Awards

Supporter

Proseguo con i tetroboli sparsi qua e là nelle mie cartelle con la monetazione pre-Filippo II come li trovo. Questo è del tipo cavallo/quadrato incuso.

post-703-0-10100300-1426243741_thumb.jpg

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander I. 498-454 BC. AR Tetrobol (13mm, 1.65 g). Horse right / Quadripartite incuse square. Raymond pl. V, b; SNG ANS 20. Near VF, some porosity.

apollonia

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Supporter

Come sopra ma nel quadrato incuso c'è il caduceo.

post-703-0-73958900-1426243994.jpg

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander I. 498-454 BC. AR Light Tetrobol (2.35 g, 4h). Struck circa 476/5-460 BC. Horse standing right / Caduceus in center of quadripartite linear square within shallow incuse square. Raymond pl. IX, a; SNG ANS -; SNG München 8. Fine. Very rare.

From the Robert A. Weimer Collection. Ex Pegasi 116 (15 November 1999), lot 75.

apollonia

• Mi piace 1
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Proseguo con i tetroboli sparsi qua e là nelle mie cartelle con la monetazione pre-Filippo II come li trovo. Questo è del tipo cavallo/quadrato incuso.

attachicon.gifTetrobolo Alessandro I cavallo quadrato incuso.jpg

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander I. 498-454 BC. AR Tetrobol (13mm, 1.65 g). Horse right / Quadripartite incuse square. Raymond pl. V, b; SNG ANS 20. Near VF, some porosity.

apollonia

Questo è forse un diobolo? Cosa ne pensi? 

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Awards

Supporter

Un tetrobolo light dovrebbe pesare sui 2 g o poco meno, e quindi 1,65 g è un peso piuttosto basso anche per questi tetroboli leggeri, mentre sarebbe adatto a un triobolo che però non esiste tra le monete di Alessandro I.

Potremmo riferirlo a un tetrobolo ‘very light’ ( - 0,35 g rispetto a uno light) oppure a un diobolo ‘pesante’ (+ 0, 45 g rispetto alla norma). In effetti ho visto un diobolo di questo sovrano che pesa 1,69 g, ma per stabilire se ha sbagliato nella denominazione chi ha curato la didascalia oppure se è ‘sbagliato’ il peso della moneta, bisognerebbe poter consultare la bibliografia allegata.

Come osservazione generale, in queste monete si trovano spesso discrepanze tra il nominale e il peso, tenendo presente che a volte non è certo se la moneta fa parte delle emissioni di Alessandro I oppure è stata coniata da qualche tribù macedone (Migdoni, Crestoni), nel qual caso oscillazioni del peso di questo ordine di grandezza ci possono anche stare.

apollonia

• Mi piace 2
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Supporter

Avrete notato che gli ottodrammi hanno il peso 'giusto' (tra 28,6 e 28,8 g), ma passando ai tetradrammi siamo sui 13 g o anche meno. E non solo per i due già postati, ma anche per questo senza la capra sul rovescio.

post-703-0-31534500-1426264646.jpg

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander I. 498-454 BC. AR Tetradrachm (12.88 gm). Struck circa 492-479 BC. Horseman walking right, carrying two spears pointed forwards / Quadripartite incuse. Raymond pl. 2, 7; SNG ANS 3 (same obverse die). Fine, scratches. Rare.

apollonia

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Supporter

Questo è un ottobolo di Alessandro I, moneta molto rara che è stata aggiudicata a quasi 4000 $ sei anni fa. E nonostante il peso sia quello di un ottobolo ‘light’.

post-703-0-90892200-1426265188.jpg

Choice Oktobol

KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander I. 498-454 BC. AR Oktobol (4.10 g, 8h). Aigai mint. Struck circa 476/5-460 BC. Horse and horseman, wearing petasos and holding two spears, standing right / ΑΛE-ΞA-NΔ-PO around quadripartite square; all within incuse square. Raymond group II, 67 (A2/P1); SNG ANS 27; SNG Alpha Bank 48; SNG Saroglos 3; SNG Lockett 1381 (same dies). Good VF, lightly toned. Very rare.

apollonia

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Come osservazione generale, in queste monete si trovano spesso discrepanze tra il nominale e il peso, tenendo presente che a volte non è certo se la moneta fa parte delle emissioni di Alessandro I oppure è stata coniata da qualche tribù macedone (Migdoni, Crestoni), nel qual caso oscillazioni del peso di questo ordine di grandezza ci possono anche stare.

Si, credo che uno dei problemi sia proprio questo. Delle monete delle tribù macedoni, tra l'altro, mantengono molti simboli come la capra e il leone. 

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Awards

Ospite
Questa discussione è chiusa.

• Crea Nuovo...

Avviso Importante

Il presente sito fa uso di cookie. Si rinvia all'informativa estesa per ulteriori informazioni. La prosecuzione nella navigazione comporta l'accettazione dei cookie, dei Terms of Use e della Privacy Policy.