Vai al contenuto
IGNORED

Teodotos li ha fatti

VALTERI

Risposte migliori

Da vecchi libri ( Seltman , Masterpieces... 1949 ) e dalla rete, 2 rari tetradrammi, il 1^ conservato in Parigi, il 2^ in Berlino .

Battuti in Klazomene di Ionia verso il 380 a.C., hanno al rovescio un cigno ben disegnato, con le ali aperte ed al diritto una notevole testa di fronte attribuita ad Apollo .

L'artista incisore è Teodotos, che firma i coni con il proprio nome per esteso, usando la inconsueta rara formula " Teodotos lo ha fatto " . 

201 Seltman 54a.jpg

202 Seltman 54b.jpg

203 Seltman 54.jpg

204 DE-MUS-814819-18216496-av.jpg

205 DE-MUS-814819-18216496-rv.jpg

206.jpg

• Mi piace 1
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Grazie Valteri per averci proposto questi due splendidi esempli dell'arte incisoria greca.

SE i maestri firmanti sono nati in Sicilia e Magna Grecia anche in altre regioni, Grecia Continentale e Asia Minore, tale pratica è stata utilizzata.

Vi sono state altre città/regioni, oltre Klazomenai dove gli incisori hanno firmato i coni ?

Per esempio Amphipolis che produceva nominali d'argento altrettanto belli che Klazomenae?

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Tra i coni firmati della Grecia, unisco @numa numa il particolare statere battuto in Olimpia ( 420-370 a.C. ) siglato al rovescio dal maestro  D A ... e censito da Seltman tra i capolavori, per l'impressiva testa di aquila al diritto .

101 Seltman n. 25.jpg

102 Seltman n. 25.jpg

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Riguardo le firme degli incisori per esteso leggibili sulle monete, ai casi citati aggiungo i seguenti:

Greek
CRETE. Kydonia. Circa 320-270 BC. Stater (Silver, 25 mm, 11.51 g, 11 h), signed by Neuantos. NEYANTOΣ / [EΠOEI] Head of a nymph to right, her hair tied up and bound with a vine wreath, wearing solar disc and crescent earring with four drops. Rev. KYΔΩИ The archer Kydon standing left, stringing his bow. Le Rider, Crete, pl. IX, 18 ( same dies ). Pozzi 1972 ( same dies ). Svoronos, Crete, 3 and pl. IX, 3 ( same obverse die ). Very rare, especially with the artist's name fully legible. Struck on a broad flan and with lovely old collection toning. The usual minor die breaks and areas of weakness, otherwise, very fine.
From the Jolimont Collection.
The artist Neuantos is only known from this obverse die, which he proudly signed with his name and the verb EΠOEI ('made it'). This is one of the few occasions outside of Magna Graecia where a Greek artist signed his work. We do not know for sure whether Neuantos also crafted the reverse die of the issue, but the powerful image of Kydon, the eponymous hero of the city, stringing his bow, clearly reflects the importance of archery in Cretan society. Much like the Balearic slingers in the West, Cretan archers were dreaded throughout the eastern Mediterranean, serving as mercenaries in many of the armies of Alexander's successors. This lead to an influx of silver to Crete since the late 4th century BC, which was coined by the many poleis of the island, resulting in one of the most interesting and diverse series in Greek numismatics.

8667218.m.jpg

• Mi piace 1
  • Grazie 1
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Nomos 18, 2019, 191 

PAMPHYLIA. Aspendos. Circa 380/75-330/25 BC. Stater (Silver, 24 mm, 11.03 g, 12 h), with the words Menetys Elypha, or Menetys Elypsa on the obverse. Two wrestlers beginning to grapple with each other; between them, ϜͶ; in exergue, in tiny letters, ΜΕΝΕΤΥΣ ΕΛVΦΑ. Rev. ΕΣΤFΕΔΙΙΥΙ Slinger striding right, preparing to launch sling-bolt; to right, triskeles to left. SNG France 97-98. A clear, sharply struck and lustrous coin with an enigmatic legend. Extremely fine.
There has been debate over the meaning of this coin's obverse legend since the late 19th century. The usual staters of Aspendos normally only have magistrates' initials on their obverses, as the Fnon this coin; thus, having two complete names in the exergue is quite remarkable. This is even more so since the arrangement of the names varies: it can be either Menetys Elypha or Menetys Elypsa as here, or Elypha/Elypsa Menetys as SNG France 96. The inscription is nowhere clear enough to be sure whether the relevant letter is a Phi or a Psi. Some people believe we have an artist's signature: Μένετυς ἔ(γ)λυψα or Menetys cut . Others see this as being a magistrate's name with a patronymic: Menetys son of Elyph/psas. Finally, Bergk's interpretation of 1884 reads the legend as a reference to the two wrestlers, identifying one as Menetos (the Stalwart), and the other as Elypsas (the Slippery). I must say I rather prefer the last version...even though, se non è vero, è ben trovato!.

5892563.m.jpg

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

10 ore fa, dracma dice:

Nomos 18, 2019, 191 

PAMPHYLIA. Aspendos. Circa 380/75-330/25 BC. Stater (Silver, 24 mm, 11.03 g, 12 h), with the words Menetys Elypha, or Menetys Elypsa on the obverse. Two wrestlers beginning to grapple with each other; between them, ϜͶ; in exergue, in tiny letters, ΜΕΝΕΤΥΣ ΕΛVΦΑ. Rev. ΕΣΤFΕΔΙΙΥΙ Slinger striding right, preparing to launch sling-bolt; to right, triskeles to left. SNG France 97-98. A clear, sharply struck and lustrous coin with an enigmatic legend. Extremely fine.
There has been debate over the meaning of this coin's obverse legend since the late 19th century. The usual staters of Aspendos normally only have magistrates' initials on their obverses, as the Fnon this coin; thus, having two complete names in the exergue is quite remarkable. This is even more so since the arrangement of the names varies: it can be either Menetys Elypha or Menetys Elypsa as here, or Elypha/Elypsa Menetys as SNG France 96. The inscription is nowhere clear enough to be sure whether the relevant letter is a Phi or a Psi. Some people believe we have an artist's signature: Μένετυς ἔ(γ)λυψα or Menetys cut . Others see this as being a magistrate's name with a patronymic: Menetys son of Elyph/psas. Finally, Bergk's interpretation of 1884 reads the legend as a reference to the two wrestlers, identifying one as Menetos (the Stalwart), and the other as Elypsas (the Slippery). I must say I rather prefer the last version...even though, se non è vero, è ben trovato!.

5892563.m.jpg

Di questa famosa legenda ho provato a dare un'interpretazione alternativa, legata alla mia teoria secondo cui i monogrammi riportati sugli stateri coniati ad Aspendos (e sulle monete di altre coniazioni greche) siano in realtà dei numeri indicanti i volumi di moneta coniata. Tale interpretazione è suffragata dalla ricostruzione di intere emissioni e dal fatto che a volte, come nel caso in esame, compaiono dei chiari simboli di unità monetarie come il simbolo della dracma L.

56.PNG

58.PNG

59.PNG

https://www.academia.edu/39997443/F_De_Luca_I_monogrammi_sugli_stateri_coniati_ad_Aspendo_nel_IV_III_secolo_a_C_appunti_numerici_relativi_alle_dimensioni_dell_emissione_Versione_italiana_dell_articolo_pubblicato_sulla_rivista_numismatica_OMNI_n_13_7_2019_pagg_40_71_

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Awards

Unisciti alla discussione

Puoi iniziare a scrivere subito, e completare la registrazione in un secondo momento. Se hai già un account, accedi al Forum con il tuo profilo utente..

Ospite
Rispondi a questa discussione...

×   Hai incollato il contenuto con la formattazione.   Rimuovere la formattazione

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Il tuo collegamento è stato incorporato automaticamente.   Mostra come un collegamento

×   Il tuo contenuto precedente è stato ripristinato..   Cancella editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Caricamento...
  • Crea Nuovo...

Avviso Importante

Il presente sito fa uso di cookie. Si rinvia all'informativa estesa per ulteriori informazioni. La prosecuzione nella navigazione comporta l'accettazione dei cookie, dei Terms of Use e della Privacy Policy.