Vai al contenuto
IGNORED

fiorino's identification

Risposte migliori

Hello,

First post on this forum. Excuse me for my english, he's not very good, but my italian is worst. (I can't speak it or write it in fact)

I'm french and I'm recently interested in numismatic. I've recently bought an italian gold coin. I'm quite sure it's a real fiorino but I can't date it. The secret might be in the sign upon the saint's right hand. I read that it depends on the monetary's magistrate.

I know that the response might be in this italian book : "Monete Zecche Medievale Italiane Dal Sec VIII al Sec XV" from Elie Biaggi.

A/ +FLOR ENTIA

R/ SIOHA NNESB

Another strange thing: the weight is only 1,54 g ?

Thanks for your answers

post-12504-1234550623_thumb.jpg

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Hello Sesino and Tutti,

Here are fresh pics of the coin. The one I've put in my first message was taken on the net because I had'nt any picture of the original coin and this coin had the same sign I've mentionned.

Mine is 20 mm.

Hope you could help me.

Many thanks

post-12504-1234604503_thumb.jpg

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Concerning the magistrate's sign you are quite right: it is a privy mark (un "différent") that changed every six months together with the mint officer responsible for gold coinage. We still have the book, called "fiorinaio", where these signs were recorded and to whom they belonged, so it is actually possible to date these coins with great precision.

Concerning your coin, I'm absolutely not an expert in this coinage but the standard weight for a gold fiorino should be 3,54 gr. At 1,54 gr. I have serious doubts yours is a reproduction in base metal (brass?)

Regards, P.

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Many thanks for your response Paleologo,

If you have the book you've mentionned could you tell me whose magistrate's sign is this ?

As concern et weight, I'm afraid you'are right. It could explain the price I've paid, but I'm quite sure it's gold not brass. May be an old false coin ?

Still a mystery....

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

If you have the book you've mentionned could you tell me whose magistrate's sign is this ?

I would love to, but unfortunately the original is unique... it goes back to 1361 and it is preserved in the State Archive of Florence :)

I think the same information is reported in modern books like CORPVS NVMMORVM ITALICORVM VOL.XII - TOSCANA, FIRENZE, 1930 or the more recent LE MONETE DELLA REPUBBLICA FIORENTINA by Mario Bernocchi (Florence 1974-78). Unfortunately this is quite outside my numismatic interests so I don't have either. Maybe someone on this forum can help you.

As concern et weight, I'm afraid you'are right. It could explain the price I've paid, but I'm quite sure it's gold not brass. May be an old false coin ?

Still a mystery....

Or rather a modern reproduction/souvenir. This means you might not be able to find an actual correspondence for the privy mark.

Regards, P.

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Unisciti alla discussione

Puoi iniziare a scrivere subito, e completare la registrazione in un secondo momento. Se hai già un account, accedi al Forum con il tuo profilo utente..

Ospite
Rispondi a questa discussione...

×   Hai incollato il contenuto con la formattazione.   Rimuovere la formattazione

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Il tuo collegamento è stato incorporato automaticamente.   Mostra come un collegamento

×   Il tuo contenuto precedente è stato ripristinato..   Cancella editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Caricamento...
  • Crea Nuovo...

Avviso Importante

Il presente sito fa uso di cookie. Si rinvia all'informativa estesa per ulteriori informazioni. La prosecuzione nella navigazione comporta l'accettazione dei cookie, dei Terms of Use e della Privacy Policy.