Vai al contenuto
IGNORED

Genova Quartaro?

Risposte migliori

Hi,

Sorry for the English, but I do not speak Italian (at all!!). I am from Portugal and I came across this coin that I believe to be a Quartaro from Genova. Can you please help me with a correct ID?

Thanks in advance. 

Unknown coin.JPG

• Mi piace 3
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Move your request in the section  " Monete  medievali di zecche italiane"  where you can find more visibility and answers

• Mi piace 1
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Hi @Palves and welcome !

yes at first sight I could be a Genoese Quartaro but the overall style and the legends, in particular,  are different. I personally, think that your coin is an interesting contemporary counterfeit .

for any questions , ask please

Regards,

Matteo

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Awards

Supporter

Hello @Palves :).

It is a quartaro, but probably not of the mint of Genoa. It's an imitation (or a counterfeit, as Matteo said, but for some reasons I can't explain now I don't think so).

I / we have some ideas about the area of this production, but it would be nice to have more data, starting from the area of circulation.

Where did you came across this coin? Thanks !

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

It came in a lot of coins I bought from a Portuguese seller than brought them from a Metal detecting guy. Supposedly, they were all found by the same guy.

The other coins in the lot are from the period 1223 to 1248, except one that is dated from 1438-1481. 

I did not pay extra and the seller did not try to charge this coin, I spoke to the seller afterwards and he was not even aware of the coin, in his mind it was only a lot of portuguese coins.

The closest I could get was in the link http://www.mariojan.com/monete/numis_03_83.html (the coin just before the heading "Classificazione". 

Thanks for the help.

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Inviato (modificato)

In addition, I have put the coin under the microscope and it looks and "feels" like an old coin. I do not know absolutely nothing about Italian contemporary counterfeit, but portuguese of this time period and type of metal are always very badly made, with low quality lettering and drawing. This coin came to me basically for free, so it is what it is, if it is good is good, if it is bad is bad. No pressure of a good/bad deal with fakes. Which is always good. 

By the way you can visit my collection at www.museumoeda.com, but only in Portuguese :(

Modificato da Palves
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Supporter

@PalvesIt's not a contemporary (i.e. of nowadays) imitation/ counterfeit: sorry that we have not clarified that, but a late medieval one, contemporary or little later than the regular issues.  So the coin could be dated to the 14th century.

Modificato da monbalda
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Unisciti alla discussione

Puoi iniziare a scrivere subito, e completare la registrazione in un secondo momento. Se hai già un account, accedi al Forum con il tuo profilo utente..

Ospite
Rispondi a questa discussione...

×   Hai incollato il contenuto con la formattazione.   Rimuovere la formattazione

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Il tuo collegamento è stato incorporato automaticamente.   Mostra come un collegamento

×   Il tuo contenuto precedente è stato ripristinato..   Cancella editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Caricamento...
  • Crea Nuovo...

Avviso Importante

Il presente sito fa uso di cookie. Si rinvia all'informativa estesa per ulteriori informazioni. La prosecuzione nella navigazione comporta l'accettazione dei cookie, dei Terms of Use e della Privacy Policy.