Vai al contenuto
IGNORED

X contremarca sul testone di Genova

sayerghita

Risposte migliori

Hi,
First of all congrats for your nice teston.

The countermark is interesting ; honestly it is the first time that i see one on this genoese coinage. Can you provide a bigger image of the only countermark , please ?

Matteo

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Awards

Thank you both for your interest. Here is the c/m blown up as best as I can.  It is not clearly an X but it seems to me it could be.  When I first saw it, I thought it might be graffiti but CNI lists a variety with an X c/m so it seems reasonable to assume this testone likewise has an X c/m.  Would appreciate any information or comments you have (in English or Italian). 

Sorry, I am having difficulty attaching the photo.  I will post these comments and then post the photo separately.

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

if think this countermark isn't a genoa countermark. It think the countermark is used to extend the validity of this Coin in another state that has important commercial relation with genoa but I don't know with state use this countermark. I think this because in carmagnola state use the genoa castle countermark for this reason.

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Thank you, Principe Sax.  That makes sense.  Of course, I would love to know which state.

I obtained the enlargement of the c/m using Snag. I now find this program requires special software to open - I apologise.  There must be another way but in the meantime I printed it and scanned the print. Here is the result which you should all be able to open.

Genoa Francois I  X cm on Teston 050.jpg

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

• 2 settimane dopo...

In CNI there are 2 varieties of this Antionotto Adorno testone with the X c/m : III,p.207,29 (Tav. IX,13) and 208,40.  There is also a mezzo testone (III,p.210,56).  They all differ from your coin in that the c/m is on the reverse, not the obverse.

However, no explanation of the reason for the c/m is given.   I cannot  find the catalogues of  Asta Ghiglione 1996 or of the Pesce Collection sold by Christie's on the internet.   Am I right in assuming neither had any explanation of the reason for the c/m ?

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

• 2 mesi dopo...

Another question on a Genoa countermark.  Here is a Genoa c/m on a 1641 Utrecht lion daalder.  Does anyone have any idea of who had this coin countermarked and why ?

Happy Christmas !

Genoa cm on Utrecht-obv056.jpg

Genoa cm on Utrecht-rev057.jpg

• Mi piace 4
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

12 minuti fa, principesax dice:

yes it is the genoa countermark. The countermark could meaning the genoa influence in that territory Carmagnola (I think)

There are two interesting articles about these coins written by Pesce. 

The suggested meaning  is quite different from your. 

• Mi piace 1
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Awards

Unisciti alla discussione

Puoi iniziare a scrivere subito, e completare la registrazione in un secondo momento. Se hai già un account, accedi al Forum con il tuo profilo utente..

Ospite
Rispondi a questa discussione...

×   Hai incollato il contenuto con la formattazione.   Rimuovere la formattazione

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Il tuo collegamento è stato incorporato automaticamente.   Mostra come un collegamento

×   Il tuo contenuto precedente è stato ripristinato..   Cancella editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Caricamento...
  • Crea Nuovo...

Avviso Importante

Il presente sito fa uso di cookie. Si rinvia all'informativa estesa per ulteriori informazioni. La prosecuzione nella navigazione comporta l'accettazione dei cookie, dei Terms of Use e della Privacy Policy.